Small violin, with a pine wood soundboard, and bottom and bridge made of maple wood. It has four strings tuned G-D’-A’-E’’. In order to play, the musician places the instrument on the neck and on the shoulder, touching the strings with the bow, held by the right hand, while the left hand does the strumming on the neck of the instrument. The Museum’s specimen does not have a bridge.
This instrument was the first violin of Leopoldo Miguez (1850-1902), Brazilian composer and conductor. Miguez was also the first director of the Brazilian Music Institute, currently the Music School of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, UFRJ.
BETHENCOURT; BORDAS; CANO; CARVAJAL; SOUZA; DIAS; LUENGO; PALACIUS; PIQUER, ROCHA, RODRIGUEZ; RUBIALES; RUIZ, 2012.
ESCOLA DE MÚSICA UFRJ, 2014.